Today on Brand Story, Inc, we welcome J.D. Power’s CEO and president, Dave Habiger. J.D. Power is a global leader in consumer data & analytics and while many associate them with authority in the automotive industry, J.D. Power serves a slew of sectors including financial services, insurance, telecommunications, healthcare, energy, utilities, hospitality and travel.
The customer knows best
A first on a Brand Story, Inc. podcast, we barely talk about content creation. Instead, we draw lessons from a 50-year old, best-in-class brand that is maniacally-focused on first party data and becoming the voice of the customer for its wide range of B2B clients. I nearly had to convince Dave that his company indeed creates a ton of content, just not the editorial opinionated type.
The J.D. Power brand has been used in more than 200,000 commercials and they’ve never paid a dime for the brand amplification. The marketing department is tiny. There are quite a few business lessons we can derive from this non-content, content company!
Here are some of the highlights of what we discussed:
- Who J.D. Power is, what they do and how they make money
- The power of objectivity in brand building
- Data as the premium value driver for the business model
- J.D. Power’s organizational structure and content’s role in the big picture
- The evolution of J.D. Power, what’s next and how content does or does not fit in
- Truth Finder & Change Maker values and what that means in 2021 from the C-suite
- Morning Musts and Dave’s unique approach to challenge himself daily with contrarian views on the news he seeks
We want to hear from you. Share this podcast, give us your feedback and hit me up with topic suggestions and guest ideas. Brand Story, Inc. is for you, so let’s make it great together. You can ping me on LinkedIn or follow me on Twitter @_JaySharman. Thanks for listening. Enjoy!