If you’ve listened to Brand Story, Inc. before, then you know by now our thesis is that organizations who operate with a media company mindset tend to win the long game in business. Today’s guest, Leo McCafferty, the vice president of content & production for the NHL’s Pittsburgh Penguins, pulls the curtain back on a sports property that embodies said media mindset.
The Penguins social media following exceeds 5.5 million fans, they have media network relationships, dozens of sponsorship partners, and an arena that, when fans are allowed back in, serves as an immersive brand experience. Whether you think of icing as a hockey rule or a dessert topping, the sports part of this podcast is minimal to the value and insights McCafferty provides.
Here’s the highlights:
- The Penguins’ content organizational structure, staff positions and workflow evolution.
- The quality and quantity sweet spots to build and engage their unique following.
- Audience segmentation and success metric development.
- A best-in-class branded content solution and the future of sponsored sports content.
- Innovations borne out of the pandemic, including workflows and content innovation.
- Finding and repurposing non-traditional content sources.
- The future of audience building and content engagement for the Pittsburgh Penguins.
- Content studio advice for small teams.
- Morning Musts – who Leo follows and trusts for industry trend intel.
- Bedside Book Stack – Recommended reads.
Thanks for your continued outreach, feedback and support! Keep the topic ideas, guest recommendations, and likes and dislikes coming! Ping me on LinkedIn to connect.