I’m excited to share the final installment of Brand Story, Inc.’s 2021 Latino Heritage Month series with you. To date, the response has been fantastic. Today’s guest is Ronald Mendez, MediaCom’s managing partner and leader of their Multicultural Center of Excellence. MediaCom is a global agency that is part of the WPP and GroupM family and specializes in brand strategy and storytelling for the likes of Procter & Gamble, Adidas, Bayer and Mars to name a few.
Ron works with teams to develop tailored communication strategies that are based on in-depth insights of multicultural consumers. As you’ll learn on today’s podcast Ron strives to understand the similarities that thread all audiences together, but more importantly, the nuances that exist that enable brands to meaningfully connect and build a long-term business relationship with them.
Here are the highlights of today’s episode:
- Ron’s Journey Story. The path to where he is now.
- The Mom Explainer. How Ron explains his job to his mom.
- The multicultural lens. The census bump, the gap in brand spending to the LatinX audience relative to population size, and a host of framing and context for brands to consider.
- Mythbusting. Ron share’s the top three myths about the LatinX audience EVERY brand needs to know.
- Media Landscape. What investment shifts are happening – and not – relative to the LatinX marketplace?
- Case Study Cliff Notes. Ron illustrates his philosophy in practice with a MediaCom case study.
- The Integrated Content Challenge. Major brands segment agencies of record by platform and audience (ie. “multicultural agency of record”). This seems broken in today’s cross-platform, multi-cultural world. How do we fix this?
- The One Conversation. Ron fills us in on the one conversation he can’t believe he is STILL having with prospective brands in 2021.
- Morning Musts. Ron shares his sources for industry insights.
- Bedside Bookstand. Our weekly book guest recommendation!
We want to hear from you. Share this podcast, give us your feedback and hit me up with topic suggestions and guest ideas. Brand Story, Inc. is for you, so let’s make it great together. You can ping me on LinkedIn or follow me on Twitter @_JaySharman. Thanks for listening. Enjoy!